Arklow Maritime Museum

Overview

1h 20min
Museum and heritage centre for all aspects of the history of the locality, especially maritime. It began in 1973 when a group of volunteers realised that irreplaceable artefacts and information were being destroyed. After three years gathering the collections, the committee opened the doors for the first time in 1976. We are now in the Bridgewater Centre in the heart of Arklow and are about to double the size of the museum, allowing us to expand our range of themes and topics. Any museum in Arklow will be 70% maritime, but to date we have not displayed the other 30% of our rich and diverse heritage. Archaeological evidence within a 10km radius of the museum shows that this area has a human history going back 5,000 years. It was the Vikings who established a settlement here in the 9th century. This was consolidated by the Normans. Fishing and seafaring were the principal economic pursuits until the 19th century, when they were joined by other industrial activities such as quarrying, mining (the location of Ireland's only gold rush dating to 1796 can be seen from the museum balcony), shipbuilding and other varied industry. Between 1895 and 1918, Arklow was home to Kynoch Ltd, which produced commercial explosives in times of peace and munitions in times of war. In WW1, over 4,000 people were employed in the factory, the museum stands of part of its massive site. Among our 1000+ items are a shoe worn by a young lady on the Lusitania which was torpedoed off Kinsale in 1915. It was brought back to Arklow by one of the Arklow fishing fleet involved in the rescue. Arklow Pottery Ltd was the economic mainstay in the 20th century. Historical tours of the town and the Kynoch site can be arranged.

Prices from

  • Child Free Ticket (0-5) : €0
  • Child (5-16) : €2
  • Adult (16-66) : €5
  • Senior : €2
  • Student : €2
  • Family 2 Adult + 2 Child : €10

Current opening times

Monday 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Wednesday 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Thursday 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Friday 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Sunday 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Facilities

  • Wheelchair Accessible
  • Paid Visit
  • Covid-19 Guidelines
  • Guided Tours
  • Guide Dogs Welcomed
  • Food On Site
  • Retail On Site
  • Paper Ticket Accepted
  • Families
  • Galleries & Museums
  • Heritage Sites
  • Kids
  • Solo Visitors
  • Friends
  • Mature visitors
  • Historical
  • Guided tour
  • 15 min. introductory video
  • Child Friendly
  • Annual membership €15
  • Street tour charges depends on size of group
No cancellation charge
  • Traditional Museum Guide
  • Outdoor Tours

Contact details

  • Bridgewater Centre
  • North Quay
  • Arklow
  • Ireland
  • Y14Y744
040291683
arklowmaritimemuseum@gmail.com